PWAs is also known as Progressive Web Apps or Progressive Web Applications are actually certainly added enhancements that allow a web application to function much like mobile or desktop apps.
A very important detail to mention about PWAs is that they work from the web and allow you to use them even without an internet connection. Another of its features is that, without actually being an app, it can be used as such so you can install it at startup, send messages and push notifications. You won’t notice the difference between a PWA and a native app.
What are Progressive Web Apps?
When we refer to Progressive Web Apps, it is not about new technologies or structures. As we have already mentioned, it is a practical improvement to an existing web app that manages to make it work identically to a desktop or mobile app development.
We can define progressive web applications as an ideal combination between native applications and web applications. It is important to note that both are distinguished from each other.
On the one hand, Progressive Web Apps allow their installation from the browser directly. This offers the possibility of not having to go through an App Store or Play Store.
The effect of PWAs on different technology devices was demonstrated in terms of conversions and their own performance.
It should also be noted that it is a practical and profitable alternative if you want to develop your own App. This is so since progressive web apps do not require a specific developer to work on the different operating systems available.
Advantages and disadvantages of PWAs
We want to explain certain benefits and negative aspects of Progressive Web Apps. Let’s find out the advantages and disadvantages of PWAs.
Progressive web applications promise a great number of positive aspects for both developers and users.
- Google’s search algorithm highlights Progressive Web Apps and it is for this reason that it is possible to find them in search engines.
- Progressive Web Apps tend to run faster than Internet pages.
- It is possible to send notifications through PWAs to attract users.
- Progressive Web Apps are accessible offline and responsive, that means that you can access them even without internet and that they adapt to all devices.
- PWAs are sensitive and therefore work with any operating system and any electronic device format.
- You don’t need to download the PWAs
- Progressive Web apps do not require you to install them through an app store. This is an advantage for the user and the owner. For users, it is advantageous because they do not need to enter the app store and the owners do not need to conform to the different rules of the app stores.
Progressive Web Apps are innovative applications and bring certain positive features like those mentioned above. But it is important to also mention its negative aspects.
- Certain features are not available for iOS. The iPhone operating system does not support some of the PWA functions. This is its main weak point.
- PWAs do not have access to all the features that phones offer. If we compare this aspect with native applications, it is a weak point for PWAs.
- PWAs consume a lot of battery. Native applications consume much less power than Progressive Web Apps.